Our Story Continues
- Book checkouts at the first nine schools increased by 400 percent over a four-year period.
- Reading fluency scores among third-grade students in two of the first three Library Project schools rose from 33 percent of students at benchmark to 64 percent at benchmark—a 94 percent increase (*Reading fluency measured through DIBELS; the third school did not collect this data).
- Library Project students in the third-grade were almost three times as likely to meet reading fluency proficiency standards as students in comparison schools.
- The first three Library Project schools outperformed more than 120 Baltimore City Public Schools on PARCC tests in reading proficiency.
Book Drive Releases[downloads category=media tag=book-drive template="title"]
Library Releases[downloads category=media tag=library template="title"]
Please click here to visit the Weinberg Foundation's YouTube channel to see Library Project content!
Various coverage of Penny Challenge Event, April 2017:
- WMAR-TV (ABC2)
- Baltimore Sun
Various coverage of Annual Book Drive, March 2017:
Various coverage of Annual Book Drive, April 2016:
Various coverage of Library Grand Openings, September 2015:
- WBFF-TV (Fox 45)
- The Daily Record
Various coverage of Annual Book Drive, March 2015:
Various coverage of Library Grand Openings, September 2013:
- Baltimore Sun - Online article posted on the evening of September 23 and page 2 of September 24 edition.
- WJZ-TV - Package (self-contained report introduced by anchor) by Jessica Kartalija at 6p.m.
- WBFF-TV (Fox 45) - 5 p.m. and 10 p.m.
Various coverage of Annual Book Drive, March 2013:
- WBAL-TV - Online article posted on the evening of March 1.
Various coverage of Library Grand Openings, September 2012:
- Baltimore Sun - Online article posted on the evening of September 12 and page 2 of September 13 edition.
- WBFF-TV (Fox 45)/WBAL-TV/WMAR (ABC2) - A total of 19 morning live reports by all three stations.
- WBAL Radio - Rachel Garbow Monroe, Weinberg Foundation President, interviewed by Mary Beth Marsden for Maryland News Now (afternoon drive show).
- WBFF-TV (Fox 45) - 5 & 10 pm
- WBAL-TV - YouTube video posted by WBAL, evening show vo/sot
- WMAR-TV (ABC2) - Online story posted after morning live shots.
Various coverage of Annual Book Drive, March 2012:
- Fox 45 Morning Show/March 8, 2012
- Baltimore Sun Article/March 2, 2012
- Publishers Weekly/March 2, 2012
- Fox 45 Morning Show/December 14, 2011
Various coverage of Library Project Launch, December 2011:
[download id="1931" template="title"] | 2017
[download id="1922" template="title"] | 2017
[download id="2017" template="title"] | 2015
[download id="1934" template="title"] | Summer 2014, (Released) 2015
[download id="2013" template="title"] | 2014
[download id="1929" template="title"] | 2013
Reports/data on childhood literacy
- Early Warning! Why Reading by the End of Third Grade Matters | The Annie E. Casey Foundation, 2010
- Baltimore City Schools District Profile | Baltimore City Schools, Fall 2019
Reports on the relationship between academic achievement and poverty
- Looking at School Performance From a Different Perspective: A Maryland Report Card Reflecting Students Served | Baltimore Education Research Consortium, June 2019
- Five Social Disadvantages That Depress Student Performance | Economic Policy Institute, June 2015
- A double dose of disadvantage: Language experiences for low-income children in home and school. | American Psychological Association, 2018
- Education and Socioeconomic Status | American Psychological Association, July 2017
Reports on importance of library quality
- Haves, Halves, and Have-Nots: School Libraries and Student Achievement in California | University of North Texas, December 2008
- Why school librarians matter: What years of research tell us | Phi Delta Kappan, March 2018
- School Libraries Impact Studies | Library Research Service, 1999-2015
- Importance of the school library in learning — the research | The National Library of New Zealand, 2019
- Impact of School Libraries on Student Achievement: A Review of the Research | Australian Council for Educational Research, January 2003